Things to do in Kildare town to celebrate St Brigid
- Call into the heritage centre to find out more about St Brigid , Kildare town and surrounding areas – Open Monday – Saturday 9.30 – 5pm.
- Visit the Cathedral of St Brigid open 11.30am -4pm Monday 31st Jan, Tueday the 1st Feb, Wednesday 2nd Feb, Thursday 3rd Feb, Friday 4th Feb and Saturday 5th Feb.
- Spend some time at St Brigids Parish Church , click here to view how they are celebrating St Brigid, including a piano suite.
- Discover where the perpetual flame now burns in the Solas Bríde Centre, enjoy a candlit pilrimage on Janurary 31st at 7.15pm for more information click here.
- Visit Kildare Town – The Book of Kildare Art Exhibition by Josephine Hardiman , for more information and booking click here. Inspired by our Ancient Manuscripts, Heritage and Celtic Art. The display will be on view to library users throughout the month of February in Kildare Town Library . Booking is Essential Phone 045 520235 or email email@example.com. The exhibition will launch privately on Monday 31st January 3pm
- Visit St Brigid’s Well, for directions call into the heritage centre for your free map or click here for a link on google maps.
- ‘Legends of Kildare’ – A Magical Virtual Reality Adventure – Kildare Town Heritage Centre. Immerse yourself in the world of virtual reality and experience the story of St Brigid, the goddess and the saint, also includes stories of the Fianna and the arrival of the Normans. Journey back in time and discover how the town of Kildare we love today came into exsistance. Online booking is highly recommended or call us to book your place today on 045 530 672. To read testimonials get more information and booking click here. PLEASE NOTE BOOKING IN ADVANCE IS ESSENTIAL FOR FEBURARY 1ST, LIMITED SPACES AVAILABLE, BOOK EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT.
Here is a list of organised events throught the week to celebrate St Brigid’s Festival if you are running any events for the fesitval please let us know and we can add them to our events list.
Self Guided Walking Tour – St Brigids Trail click here for map and information.
Take a tour of Kildare town and surrounding areas on Kildare Monastic Trail click the link for a Free Audio Guide
KILDARE LIGHT SHOW PROGRAMME: BRIGID’S DAY, 1st FEBRUARY
All events are free and open to the public
5.30 – 6.30pm: Kilkea Castle
5.30 – 9.30pm: St. Brigid’s Cathedral, Kildare
St Brigid Cross Making Workshop – Outside the heritage centre details TBC – stay tuned to our website and check our facebook page for updates.
Plant give away -following great feedback from last years give away Kildare Tidy Towns with Kildare Town Heritage Centre have sponsored a number of plants to give away as part of the Féile . It will take place outside the heritage centre from 11am on 1st February – stay tuned to our website and check our facebook page for updates.
Solas Bríde Events:
Guided Meditative Walk in Solas Bhride – February 1, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Brigid of Kildare has left an inspiring legacy. The Meditative walk in the Centre grounds will focus on her legacy as a spiritual leader, peacemaker, woman of the land, and woman of hospitality.
During your walk you will be invited reflect, to rest awhile, and to take notice of the abundance of nature all around.
Presenters: Solas Bhride Team & Cairde Bhride
For more information and booking click here.
Lá Fheile Bride: Revisiting the Customs and Traditions associated with St. Brigid – February 1, 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Brenda and Margaret will revisit some of the Customs and Traditions associated with St. Brigid and explore how they might speak to us today
Please note: Due to the current situation regarding Covid-19 there will be a restricted in-person audience. Updates will be published regularly on our website.
For more information and booking click here
Sacred Dance – February 2, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
Join us as we celebrate our journey with Brigid through dance and story. Bring joy and harmony to your heart at this Springtime of the year. For inforamtion and booking click here.
Please note: Due to the current situation regarding Covid-19 some events may be live-streamed or presented as webinars with a restricted in-person audience. Updates will be published regularly on the solas bríde website.
For all other infomation on what Solas Bríde have to offer for this festival click here
Online features to enjoy
Celebrating St Brigid through music, local musicians and artist created this short video last year.
Enjoy some Brigid Related Stories read by local Kildare Children.
Other Online St Brigid Related events and activities
‘Click here to get access to resources and activities related to St Brigids Day .
For all updates on events on things to enjoy about Kildare visit Into Kildare’s facebook page with daliy updates on all things Kildare.
Lighting the Hill of Allen
Into Kildare to illuminate the Hill of Allen again for the second time ever as part of this year’s festivities to honour Kildare’s very own patron saint.
The historic landmark will emit a bright white light from Monday evening January 31st on the eve of St Brigid’s Day for a number of hours and will remain lit until midnight and will once again light up from 6pm on February 1st until midnight.
Members of the public will also be able to view the ‘lighting up’ from their own homes or by logging onto Into Kildare’s Facebook page or visiting the website – www.intokildare.ie.
For more details and information please click here.